Monday, September 1, 2008

Kaka City

Walking around in Buenos Aires, no matter which barrio (neighborhood) you are in, there is one thing that you wouldn't miss on the streets...drum roll please...let me introduce you to KaKa! What is kaka, you may ask? That's spanish for dog sh*t. I love the word, sounds so cute. haha

People here love dogs and you will see them walking the dogs at any hours of the day. I'm not kidding. Every time when I went home from tango between the hours of 3-5AM (take note: AM), I'd see at least a few people, head half hanging, half asleep, walking their dogs. I always wonder why does the dogs need to do their business at these peculiar hours?

Anyway, while they like to have their dogs, not so much about their surroundings I guess. They seem to not see the connection between when your dog poopies, it's the owner's responsibility to pick up after them; thus so many kaka on the streets. When I was in Recoleta (a ritzy neighborhood) checking out their Sunday market in the plaza, I saw that someone decided to raise the flags, literally (see pic), to the problem. In case the pic is a bit too small to tell, nice little colorful flags were used to mark every single piece of kaka in the proximity of 2 grass lawns. Each has their own slogan saying: 'Stop Kaka!', 'Kaka Go Home', 'No More Kaka please...' etc etc. It was quite a scene really. At first I thought it was some name tags for plants but no no no...It's KaKa City!!

No comments: