Friday, December 12, 2008

Let's talk about food...again


I'm not going to lie, the lack of food variety is starting to get to me...well a little bit. What I meant by 'food variety' is the different types of cuisine. While the Argentine have great great great steak and various kinds of yummy local dishes, they do use pretty much the same ingredients for almost everything, (scream JAMON y QUESO!), and they aren't big in seasoning either. I've found that they keep spicing up to the minimal, like salt and oil.

Different types of cuisine restaurants do exist here, BsAs is a big city after all. However, they are definitely not the everyday fare type of eateries and you have to seek them out. Not like we can let's go around the corner and have a bowl of Pho. Don't like Pho, let's go down the street a bit to grab some wings then. The prices for these 'specialty' restaurants are above average also so they are a luxury.

A couple weeks ago, my visiting friends and I lunched at a contemporary Argentine restaurant. It was a cool place and I had a nice smoked salmon sandwich, not sure about the choice of bread, but I was glad to have a change to my tastebuds. For a sandwich like this, you could easily find one at a half-decent cafe in N. America, but here you have to go to a semi-highend one, and for the price, it's around, if not more, than a sirloin steak at a local parrilla. While I don't want to say I took things for granted when I was back home but I surely didn't realize actually how accessible global cuisines are there.

I want to give a shout out to dumplings, congee, good chinese noodle soup, pho, pad thai, samosas, buffalo wings, pancakes, curry, tacos, Loblaw's sushi...yes even Loblaw's sushi, I miss you!

No comments: