Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Discovery Walk

Buenos Aires is a super walkable city and I absolutely love that about it. Traffic jam is no longer my concern, finding parking is none of my business and even when I'm tired of being a sardine in the subte, I could just walk that few more blocks, which I suspect sometimes that it could very likely be faster than trying to squeeze onto a jam-packed subte. There are also always so much to see on the streets. You never know what you'd discover when you walk around the city.

This past weekend I walked into something really cool. My friend and I, out of the ordinary, decided to go grab lunch in Microcentro (downtown downtown), which is a very busy area during the weekdays but on the weekends, it was surprisingly empty. We took the 'quiet' opportunity to scroll around. When we got to the famous Plaza de Mayo, which is another very busy area during the weekdays and it is also a favorite protesting spot, we unexpectedly saw that there was a little art exhibition going on. It wasn't only a display of art but the artists were actually painting en vivo (live). It was a little art event promoting Bolivian culture, super cool!

Since there was no people traffic to avoid or force you to move, we could actually stand there and take in the view. Not only there was this beautiful creative energy around us but also with all the gorgeous architecture, including Casa Rosa, around the plaza serenely standing under a nice blue sky and a warm afternoon sun, there was this very majestic peaceful feeling in the air. Also with the view of where the 3 main streets, including the famous Avenido de Mayo, meet, this uninterrupted scenery was absolutely stunning. I have to say that not until that moment that I was able to really FEEL the city. It was like you looking into someone's eyes and they are looking back at you.

No comments: