Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Connected once again

Got in yesterday afternoon. A local friend whom I´ve met last year when I was here came to pick me up with a remis (car service). Lots and lots of thanks to him because it'd be much more difficult for me to get from point A to point B with 4 pieces of luggages and broken spanish with a very exhausted mind. I settled down in my rented room at around 9-ish (expected to be able to move in at around 5-ish pm but this is AGAIN Argentine 'time' so ya, 4 hours later), and it finally hit me that I'm here. I started to freak out a bit and it was really the first time I felt worried and scared about all these. Anyway, with no internet or TV at my new home, I decided to close my eyes and sleep it off.

Sleeping always helps! Got up, energized, got some money and I went to get a SIM card (refer to as el Chip here). 15 minutos later, voila! I´m connected and normal again!! The chip costed me 20 pesos and then just needed to add money to it by buying a card with the PIN at any kiosko. They come in different amounts and I got a 15 pesos one that should last me a while. Texting out costs 0.17 pesos and calling out costs 0.55 pesos , and I believe even receiving calls doesn´t cost me a dime except if someone calls me from a payphone. So sorry if you´re calling me from a payphone...

As you can see, my room really is just a room. Nothing stellar. The most colorful places are el baño (bathroom) and la cocina (kitchen). We use gas stove here and need the flicker (how do you call those?) to get the fire going. At least the owner has one of those, last year when I was at my friend´s place, we used matches. Yes matches! Scared the crap out of me at first but slowly the ´excitement´became an addiction. I´d boil water just so I could show that I could do it.

For the price I´m paying right now for this room and being in Congreso (a very central location), it´s really an absolute steal so I´m not complaining for having a roof over my head. (Please don´t let this scare you away from visiting. There are many super nice places you can rent from that will make your jaw drop. I am just going hippie style over here and watching my wallet.) Nonetheless, I am going to look for a new home very soon since the agreement to this is only for 2 months, and I still really really want to live in my favorite barrio (neighborhood), San Telmo. More on that later.

Top picture: Disclaimer - that Jack Daniel bottle you see on the desk was filled with water. I freaked out but not that freaked out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you got there "a salvo" my friend. Keep your dream up and don't give up. Mucha suerte!!!