Tuesday, August 26, 2008

In transit


There was a tiny delay connecting at Santiago, Chile because the traffic control tower over in BsAs is not working properly (!). Thought it was the beginning of a nightmare since I was told they were trying to reconnect every 30 minutes (!) but fortunately, we were called to board very soon after, and the flight actually arrived on time. I asked my seat neighbor, who was a very nice old man from Argentina, if ‘radar tower malfunction’ happens a lot and he said yes, accompanied with a semi-embarrassed laughter. haha

The interesting thing I saw was that when the flight was announced delayed, no one, and I mean NO ONE, ran over to the counter to find out what was going on. (Well, except for myself since I only caught the main words of the broadcasted announcement to know that it was about my flight to BsAs and it was delayed) People kept chilling, chatting, laying on the chairs napping… Not sure if it was because this does happen a lot and they know it wouldn’t take long or the latinos are just very relaxed people as we all believe they are.

From my previous year’s experience, the concept of ‘on time’ does not really exist in Argentina in general but the majority of them wear a watch. I just love that irony. We’ll see if this holds true. Will report.

Picture: Yes there is Dunkin´Donuts in Chile...actually the first establishment I saw when I got to the terminal was Starbucks. urgh! Totally ruined my latin mood, BUT there´s no Starbucks in BsAs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A good start!!
Your writing is vivid. Do write more.
Dad