Friday, August 29, 2008

Too cold for tango

I have yet to put on my dancing shoes. Surprising eh? Me too but you know what, it’s so darn cold over here at night these days (has been in single digits) that I’m very content with just snuggling next to the heater, having some quiet time to myself.

However, today is the day that I´m going to open the flood gate! There is a Mundial de Tango event going on this week. It´s like a competition/events type of tango festival. There are free dancing classes and I am going to go to one today. It´d be a good start for me to warm up to it because, to be honest, I am quite nervous to go out and dance in THE tangoland.


I started dancing tango in Buenos Aires last year. I threw myself into the fire when I was a total beginner. I had nothing to lose. However, now I have pressure.
After many hours of dancing and learning, I want to show that I am at least a decent dancer, and most of all, I know the customs, the etiquette, the ´game´ very well. I know from the first step you got onto the dance floor, people are watching you, and these people are not just any people, they are milongueros. They know their dance. If you want people to ask you to dance, that first dance is key especially if you´re a new face. There are not a lot of asians who dance tango here and if you see any, most likely they are Japanese and tourists. And because of that, me walking into a place will absolutely scream NEW FACE and eyes will start watching and judging and see if this chica knows what she is doing. As self-conscious as I might be, I do need some hot sexy tango dancing to warm me up. It´s like the hot chocolate in Argentina style.

1 comment:

Betty said...

hey darling....how was ur 1st dance?