Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Demonstration

Today when I took the subte (subway) home, it skipped my stop at Congreso and stopped at 2 stations after. I wasn't aware they have an express train so I got off all confused. Asked the police which direction was Congreso. He pointed me to the right way and he said 'Ojo, mucha gente en Congreso.' (Watch out, there's a lot of people in Congreso.) I have been here for a week now, can't say it's a lot of time but it has been quite peaceful so far being living in the area where the Congress building is, and it has been quite dead at night in my area, so I still didn't clue in.

When I got closer to the block and I knew why the subte skipped my stop, it was all for crowd control. There were barricades on the roads, surrounding the block of the Congress building, police everywhere, police cars and even a huge police truck which looks like it could shoot things out of it. Yikes! They were serious.

The demonstration was in the plaza right across from the Congress building. There were a big screen TV showing a man making a speech and TV cameras all around reporting. Since I still can't understand much yet, I couldn't make out exactly what was going on, but from the signs, it's something about 'airlines are ours'. People were singing, drumming, raising flags, cheering...all in all peaceful. Traffic was a complete chaos at the intersection though, honking and maneuvering.

It was quite a little experience to see that in person and I was totally glad that nothing crazy happened because I needed food so bad and wouldn't want to get stuck in the house starving. As I'm writing this, I'm having dinner and using wifi at this pizzeria that is half a block from my place. Looking out to the plaza, drumming noise in the background and is slowly fading away...

No comments: