Friday, September 26, 2008

Squeeeeeeze

Everyday I take the subte (subway) to and from work. Like in all big cities in the world, taking subway during rush hours is definitely an experience. Here in BsAs, it is definitely no less than an adventure. Pretty much everyday we are playing the game ´let´s see how many people we can fit onto a subway cart´. Not that I´ve taken every subway during rush hours in the world but I have lived in a few big cities so far (including the tiny cosmo city called Hong Kong) and this has to be the craziest.

Scenario 1: Subte arrived with people up against the door, and I´m talking PRESSED against the door, and I´d think ´darn I´d have to wait for the next one.' However, somehow people would push so hard that I'd 'flow' into the cart involuntarily, and thought 'cool, I'm on.' That had actually become my strategy to make sure I get on the subte with the help of stronger pushing people.

Scenario 2: I was already stuck in the middle of a full cart, no need to grab onto a handle because there was literally no room to fall. Think of a bag of marshmallows, I'd be one of those teeny weeny ones squooshed in the bag. The subte arrived at the next stop and I'd think 'there's no friggin' way people are getting on.' Guess what?! Noooo, people still pushed and pushed, and I got squeezed and squeezed. Voila, 5 more people got on. How did that happen?! Must be some kind of magic.

There were days I really thought that I could die in here but again I've survived so far. At the moment, we still have sorta cool weather, which means everyone is still in more clothes, so it could get 'cozy' but in a bearable way. When summer comes though, to be honest, I can't imagine how this would be like especially there's no AC in the subte. Nope, nada, nil, zip... and we'd be in our tanks, T-shirts, sweaty skins... you got the picture. Wish me luck!! And I'll update.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Given your vivid description, I can empathise your feeling in the subway car. After all HK is relatively not too bad.