Monday, September 22, 2008

Spring is here!

This past Sunday was the official first day of Spring here. YESSS! Not sure if it's a mental thing but I felt that the wind did kinda blow differently since then and it's no longer as chilly as it was even though the temperature is still hovering around the mid teens. I am so ready for some real South American heat. Give it to me baby!

To celebrate the arrival of Spring, there were tons of fiestas going on everywhere, including those that started at 0:01am. I had, however, chosen to be a daytime person this time, so my body loves me more, and also because there was this Jazz Festival going on in the city that I wanted to check out. What's so special about this festival you may ask, and I'll tell you that not only the festival was free but the coolest part was that all the shows took place inside different subte (subway) stations! This was actually a jazz festival organized by the subte company, MetrovĂ­as. Wasn't that an awesome idea?!

So this was how it worked, the Festival was one day only and it was from 4pm - 8pm. Every hour on the hour there would be several bands playing at different subte stations at the same time. To check them, you just needed to take the subte to the corresponding station, got out, went up to the main area, and you could enjoy live jazz for free!!! If you wanted something different, just hopped right back onto the subte and went to another station. Seriously, wasn't it wicked?! Ok, the sound wasn't the best, especially it'd occasionally be obscured by the subte roaring (and honking?! wtf!) into the stations.

I saw some nice jazz bands of all different style from big band to instrumental trio, and from vocal jazz to tango jazz quartet. The turn out was not bad at all. There were people like me who bought a few trips and just went from one station to another. Some just came stumbled across one when leaving/arriving to the subte and stayed.

All in all, it was quite a neat little outing and all that costed me was only a few 0.90 peso trips for some nice live jazz.

No comments: