Saturday, September 20, 2008

Café Paulin

I was recommended by my boss that I should check out this café around the corner from the office because I told him I like to go to different places for lunch to see what and how the local eat. It was quite a place that it has now been added to my 'have-to-check-out' list when family and friends come visit!

One of the BsAs characteristics is definitely its café culture. They are everywhere and there are many famous historical ones that one has to check out. There are quite a few in San Telmo and it's like going back in time when you sit there and sip your coffee. Having checked out quite a few of them already, Café Paulin is pretty much the same that the decor has stopped in time but its set up for sure makes it stand out from the others.

Café Paulin is not big at all. The whole place is taken up by this very looong bar and people sit all around it to eat. Think rotating sushi bar. Inside the bar, that's where the servers work, and they are all in uniforms, including wearing this mini-version chef hat, so cute! I ordered my lasagna and café con leche, sat there and watched how things went down there. The mozo (waiter) took orders from customers, served them, communicated with the ktichen with this tiny microphone embedded in the top shelf, catching dishes sweeped through the long bar from one end to another... all of these happened in such swift efficiency, it's almost like clockwork. While the eating table was a bit lower than the seat, I can't say it's the most comfortable eating position. However, I felt like I'm part of them and I absolutely love it!

3 comments: